Top 40 National Security Moments #40 – #31
With Independence Day this week, the Truman National Security Project has selected the top 40 national security moments of the past four years. See “Related Posts” (to the right) for the other 30!
40. Obama supports South Sudan’s declaration of independence
(July 7th, 2009)
Obama endorses new democracies in Africa stating,“today marks another step forward in Africa’s long history toward opportunity, democracy and justice.”
39. Cuban-Americans finally allowed to visit their families due to Obama’s new policies on Cuba
(April 4th, 2009)
Obama establishes new, more reasonable policies for Cuba, such as allowing Cuban-Americans to visit their families and send money to support them.
38. Obama delivers speech on the need for international cooperation on terrorism in Berlin
(July 24th, 2009)
Obama speaks in Berlin on the importance of Euro-American cooperation to “defeat terror and dry up the well of extremism that supports it.” Watch video here.
37. Secretary Hillary Clinton becomes an official globetrotter
(June 23rd, 2012)
Hillary Clinton becomes the most traveled Secretary of State ever. Her trip to Latvia marked her 100th trip and 73rd country visited, the most ever for Secretary of State. She has spent the equivalent of 73 days flying.
36. Colbert Shows Support for the Troops
(June 7th, 2009)
Stephen Colbert, recently self-proclaimed “Mr. USO,” films show in Iraq and tests out what a haircut from General Odierno looks like.
35. New Obama-led trade agreements create jobs at home while strengthening ties abroad
(October 12th, 2011)
The Senate ratifies Obama-negotiated treaties with South Korea, Colombia, and Panama. Secretary of State Hilary Clinton calls the agreements a huge triumph for American foreign policy that will create thousands of American jobs.
34. President Jimmy Carter negotiates the release of American teacher from North Korea
(August 27th, 2010)
Jimmy Carter successfully negotiates the release of an American school teacher, Aijalon Gomes, who was sentenced to eight years of hard labor for illegally entering the country.
33. Obama Joins NATO Leaders in 60 Years of Security
(April 4th, 2009)
Obama joins world leaders at the 60th anniversary of NATO Summit, reinforcing America’s dedication to multilateral peace and security.
32. Obama Speaks in Cairo
(June 4th, 2009)
Obama delivers speech in Cairo to the applause of thousands signaling a new beginning in the relationship with Egypt.
31. Navy Rescues American Captain from Somali Pirates
(April 12th, 2009)
Obama orders SEAL operation that results in killing of three terrorists and the release of a U.S. Captian held captive by Somali Pirates.
Daniel Gaynor is Truman’s Digital Strategist and the Editor-in-Chief of The Truman Doctrine.